Hurley, South Dakota 

Welcome to the Good Life

Frequently Asked Questions


 What are the government office hours?

Our office hours are:

Monday 8:00-4:00

Tuesday 8:00-4:00

Wednesday 8:00-4:00

Thursday 8:00-4:00

Friday 8:00-12:00

If you are coming from out of town, please call ahead (238-0680) to make sure someone will be in the office as there are times when City Hall is closed for meetings, etc. Thank you.

 At what point is a snow emergency declared?

According to our municipal ordinances,


7.0502 Parking in Streets During Snow Removal. Whenever the United States Weather Bureau has forecast snowfall of two (2) or more inches of snow for southeastern South Dakota, or there is an accumulation of two inches or more of snow on the streets of Hurley, a snow removal emergency shall be declared, and street parking shall be prohibited. Parking on any public street shall be completely prohibited, on both sides and regardless of the directional run of that street, during the existence of a snow removal emergency. The snow removal emergency shall terminate, and parking may resume whenever such street has been cleared of snow completely, until the next snow removal alert is declared. Fines for ticketing vehicles shall be fifty dollars ($50.00) for each day of violation.

 Do I need a building permit for my project?

The City of Hurley is zoned, and as such you will need a building permit before you begin any project. Please stop in City Hall to request an application and to discuss fees and requirements.

 When and where do I pay my water/sewer bill?

Water/sewer bills are mailed out the first of every month and due by the 15th. You may pay at city hall or drop your payment in the water collection box located outside the Hurley Public Library. Cash and checks are accepted; sorry, no credit and/or debit cards. We do have the option for automatic withdrawl at Merchants State Bank; if you are interested, please see one of the finance officers to have that set up for you.

Late bills are mailed out on the 16th of each month with a $10.00 late fee included.

 Who do I contact to rent a park shelter?

To reserve a space at the park, including the use of the shelter, please call city hall at (605) 238-0680 during normal business hours.

 Where do I apply for a pet license?

You may register your pet at City Hall during normal office hours. Please bring proof of vaccination and whether your pet is spade or neutered with you. License tags are priced as follows:

Spade/Neutered cat or dog        $10.00

Intact cat or dog                      $15.00

 Who do I call before I dig?

Please call South Dakota One-Call before you dig. Their phone # is 811  or (800) 781-7474 outside South Dakota.
This is the official Web site of the city of Hurley, South Dakota. Copyright 2010. All Rights Reserved.